More than a job.
Live your purpose.
Care Center Nurse Extern – Student Nurse Associate
Department: Care Center
Reports to: Care Center Clinical Manager
Starting Rate: $15/hour
Please note: The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is requiring COVID-19 vaccination for staff within all Medicare and Medicaid-certified facilities. This policy applies to Angela Hospice and our employees.
You can make a difference every day as part of Angela Hospice’s exceptional team. Angela Hospice was founded over 35 years ago, rooted on values of respect, dignity, and compassion – and that caring vision extends not only to the patients and families we care for, but to our team members, colleagues, and the community.
We’re looking for a Student Nurses Associates who shares this vision.
What Makes This Job Unique:
You’ll receive hands-on training from aides, nurses, and LPNs as you discover all there is to do as a hospice nurse. With a flexible schedule to help balance your school work, the Student Nurse Associates at Angela Hospice are well-supported by the entire team, who work with you to be part of the next generation of hospice nurses.
- Bring a sense of calm and comfort as you address patient and family concerns.
- Help carry out personal care needs for patients.
- Demonstrate your nursing knowledge by taking and recording patients’ vital signs: BP, TPR, and Pulse Ox; as well as performing colostomy care, trach care, and foley care.
- Initiate skin integrity for the patient through proper turning, positioning, and skin care, including incontinence care, wound care, and simple dressing changes.
- Aid in ambulation and range of motion exercises.
- Provide integrity for the patient by assisting them with bathing, showers, shampoos, oral care, dressing, and feeding.
- Support the department by completing assigned special projects or tasks.
- Embrace opportunities assigned by the Care Center Clinical Manager.
- Engage and learn from colleagues to better expand your knowledge and expertise.
What You Bring
- Currently enrolled in an accredited School of Nursing and has successfully completed Med/Surg I; fundamentals of nursing, including therapeutic communication
- Excellent reading, writing, and mathematical skills
- Experience in EHR documentation and basic computer proficiency
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Self-directing with ability to empathize and support the terminally ill and grieving family
- Successfully completes an introductory period to ensure competence in the above qualifications
The Student Extern will not function in any manner viewed as the practice of nursing according to the Nurse Practice Act. Specifically, the Nurse Extern will not administer medication, take physician orders, or independently perform procedures requiring the training, knowledge, and skill of a licensed nurse.