More Than A Job. Live Your Purpose.
Department: Home Care
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer
You can make a difference every day as part of Angela Hospice’s exceptional team. Angela Hospice was founded 35 years ago, rooted on values of respect, dignity, and compassion – and that caring vision extends not only to the patients and families we care for, but to our team members, colleagues, and the community.
We’re looking for a Hospice Physician who shares this vision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Certifies, as requested, the eligibility of new patients within 24 hours of the receipt of the certification from the referring physician.
- Makes certain Initial certification and certification notes are completed.
- Makes certain all face-to-face visits are completed.
- Participates in the re-certification of Medicare patients’ eligibility for hospice care.
- Participates in the development of the plan of care for new patients and families by reviewing medical records, medication and treatment orders.
- Evaluates patients admitted to the hospice facility for inpatient care within 24-72 hours of admission.
- Monitors general inpatient care to assure compliance with the plan of care by providing hospice visits when necessary.
- Orders intervention to maintain pain and symptom control for each patient.
- Coordinates efforts with the attending physician and/or the physician resident to provide medical care in the event the attending physician is unable to retain responsibility for patient care at home or in the Care Center.
- Act as a liaison to the patient’s attending physician and/or resident physician to explain hospice admitting criteria and the limits of palliative care.
- Acts as a medical liaison with the physicians in the community.
- Insures the hospice has access to a physician 24/7, and makes homes visits on an emergency basis when necessary.
- Supervises all contracted and employed resident physicians and nurse practitioner.
- Makes home visits, upon request, for patients when the hospice retains primary responsibility.
- Provides quality assurance of patient care rendered.
- Acts as back up for other physicians in his/her absence.
- Works in conjunction with other physicians/residents for on-call responsibility for week-end, holidays and vacations for Care Center and Home Care.
- Attends general staff meetings whenever possible.
- Attends other meetings when asked to (i.e., task force, committees, subcommittees, etc.).
- Has open communication with all team members and explains rationale for orders/treatment.
- Participates with education department in hospice instruction of medical students/residents and staff orientation.
- Helps organize and lead the palliative care service through Angela Hospice.
- Writes prescriptions for all physicians who order schedule 2 medications through Angela Hospice.
- Gives clear direction to employees.
- Able to challenge others without negativism.
- Demonstrates considerate treatment of direct reports.
- Demonstrates ability to view the global perspective.
- Completes performance evaluations on a timely basis.
- Demonstrates good time management skills.
- Supportive of administration.
What You Bring
- Current physician license in the State of Michigan
- Graduate degree from an accredited institution
- Hospice health care knowledge preferred with a minimum of two years field experience required
- Hospice, home health or related organization experience preferred
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Hospice and Palliative Care
Please note: The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is requiring COVID-19 vaccination for staff within all Medicare and Medicaid-certified facilities. This policy applies to Angela Hospice and our employees.